Working Group Meeting Report
5th Meeting of the Working Group on Criteria and Indicators for the Conservation and Sustainable Management of Temperate and Boreal Forests
November 17-18, 1994
We were very happy to be with you at the Tokyo Meeting. We would like to express our sincere appreciation to your kind cooperation for the meeting. We believe that you have safely returned to your home country.
Attached are Final Tokyo Draft and non-paper which were revised, based upon the following "Summary Record of Discussion". We have had these draft and papers checked and corrected by Dr. Maini and Dr. Brand last week. If you have any questions or comment on these, please let us know as soon as possible.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in Santiago.
SUMMARY RECORD OF DISCUSSION
We understand that the following major items, some of which were agreed in principle, were discussed at the Tokyo Meeting:
- Criteria and Indicators: all indicators are basically agreed.
- Rationale: all rationales are taken out from Section 3 and put together in Annex.
Criterion 7 : Section 4 which contains the Criterion 7 is newly formed on condition that the associated indicators remain unchanged.
Attached Final Tokyo Draft (page 1-13) is a latest version which reflects the three consensuses mentioned i)-iii above.
(a), (b) and (c) classification:
Attached is a latest version of the explanatory note which was proposed by the U.S., discussed and tentatively agreed. (page-14)
But, reclassification of (a), (b) and (c) into (a) and (b) by each indicator was not discussed.
- non-paper: Attached is a latest version of the non-paper.
- Section 1: Discussion was held whether the Section 1 is to be reinforced taking the following points into account:
- Natural disturbances and human intervention
- Explanatory note for Criterion 1 through 5, 6, and 7.
- Definition on "sustainable forest management"
- Importance of plantation etc.
Chapeau of each Criterion:
Necessity of chapeau of each criterion including chapeau of Section 3 was discussed. This might be discussed in conjunction with the settlement of Section 1-b) of vi)
iv), v), vi) and vii) were left to be discussed further at the Santiago Meeting which is tentatively scheduled on February 2-6, 1995 including two or three-day field trip.
THE FIFTH MEETING OF THE WORKING GROUP ON CRITERIA AND INDICATORS FOR THE CONSERVATION AND SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF TEMPERATE AND BOREAL FORESTS
- 1. OPENING OF THE MEETING
- 1.1 OPENING REMARKS BY ISAO TAKAHASHI, DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE FORESTRY AGENCY
- 2. ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA (CHAIRMAN)
- 3. REVIEW OF THE PROGRESS TO DATE (CHAIRMAN)
- 3.1 OVERALL PROCESS
- 3.2 REVISED DISCUSSION DRAFT
- 3.2.1 CRITERION 1-5 (CANADA)
- 3.2.2 CRITERION 6 (AUSTRALIA)
- 3.2.3 CRITERION 7 (U.S.A.)
- 4. DISCUSSION
- 4.1 FORMAT OF THE REPORT
- 4.2 CRITERIA AND INDICATORS
- 5. PROPOSED FORMAT FOR RESOLUTION ON CRITERIA AND INDICATORS
- 6. NEXT STEP (OBJECTIVES OF THE SANTIAGO MEETING)
- 7. OTHER BUSINESS
- 8. CLOSING OF THE MEETING
- 8.1 END REMARKS BY YOSHIO HIRONAKA, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE FORESTRY AGENCY